James D. Steele
James Steele’s practice focuses on estate litigation.
Areas of Practice
James has a special interest in estate litigation. He has experience with:
- Claims involving the validity of Wills (undue influence, incapacity or delusions);
- Removal of executors for misconduct;
- Litigating claims against Estates;
- Challenging joint survivorship entitlements, involving estates;
- Executor compensation disputes;
- Claims involving defects in Wills, or interpretation of Wills;
- Representation of the estate during a passing of accounts;
- Removal of powers of attorney;
- Applications for guardianship.
James has published on estate litigation topics in numerous academic and practitioner publications. James has also presented at legal conferences on estate litigation, and has been retained to advise counsel on ongoing estate proceedings.
- James Steele, “Emmett Hall: a Life” (2015) 30.1 CBA BarNotes 16
- James Steele, “Heritage Capital Corp v Equitable Trust: Municipal compensation payments will not run with the Land” The Court.ca (9 October 2016)
- James Steele, “Enforcement of Municipal Bylaws: A Primer” (2016) 31.1 CBA BarNotes 17
- James Steele, “The Law and Practise of Out-of-Court Evidence” (2016) The Advocate 8
- James Steele, “Rectifying Wills: A Litigator’s Guide” (December 2017) The Advocate 8
- James Steele, “Holding Taxpayers at Ransom” (August 2019) 86.7 Canadian Underwriter 79
- James Steele, “The Partisan: The Life of William Rehnquist by John A. Jenkins” 2014 Sask. L. Rev. 77(2)
- James Steele, “The ‘Duty to Defend’ Exception: Solicitor-Client Costs and Liability Coverage Proceedings“, Issues in Focus in Craig Brown & Thomas Donnelly, Insurance Law in Canada, loose-leaf (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2016)
- James Steele, “Statutory Forebears: Legislative Evolution as a Means of Statutory Interpretation” (2018) 39:3 Stat.L.R. 303
- James Steele, “Deterrence not Damages: The Punitive Rationale for Solicitor-Client Costs” (2018) 36 Can J Ins L 164
- James, Steele, “Resulting Trusts over Torrens Land“, Issues in Focus in Brian A Schnurr, Estate Litigation, 2d ed., vol. 1 (Toronto: Thomson Reuters, 2017).
- Case comment on Figley v. Figley, 2018 SKQB 102
- Case comment on Olson v. Skarsgard Estate, 2018 SKCA 64
- Case comment on Klassen v. Estate of John Arnold Wiers, 2018 SKQB 32
- Case comment on Karpinski v. Zookewich Estate, 2018 SKCA 56
- Case comment on Carlson v. Carlson Estate, 2018 SKQB 196
- Zimmer, Becky. ‘Poorly written wills can cause headaches for loved ones’ The Western Producer (2020)
- ‘Where there’s a Will there’s a less contested way to divide your estate‘ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Powers of attorney – get legal help to ensure you are protected’ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Discuss wills with family advise Sask lawyers’ Regina Leader-Post (January 2021)
- James’s life is balanced with his passion for music. James is extensively involved in fiddle music throughout Saskatchewan, performing regularly. He is a former Canadian Grand Master Fiddle Champion, a six-time Grand North American Champion, and nine-time Saskatchewan Champion. James is also a member of the Board of Directors for the John Arcand Fiddle Fest.
- James is also on the board of editors of the Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Branch publication BarNotes.
- James is a regular volunteer at pro bono Wills and Estates sessions held at the Saskatoon Public Library.
- James was the 2019 winner of the Cam Partridge Memorial PLEA Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Beginning in fall of 2020, James will be the Legislation and Law Reform Director for the CBA Saskatchewan Board.