James D. Steele
James Steele’s practice focuses on estate litigation.
Areas of Practice
James Steele’s practice focuses on estate litigation, insurance actions, and general civil litigation.
James has extensive experience with estate disputes, such as:
- Claims involving the validity of Wills (undue influence, incapacity or delusions);
- Removal of executors for misconduct;
- Litigating claims by, and against Estates;
- Challenging joint survivorship entitlements;
- Executor compensation disputes;
- Claims involving defects in Wills, or interpretation of Wills;
- Representation of the estate during a passing of accounts;
- Litigation involving powers of attorneys;
- Contested applications for letters of administration;
- Applications for guardianship.
James has published dozens of articles on estate litigation topics. His comments on estate litigation, have been published by the Regina Leader-Post, the Saskatoon Star Phoenix, the Western Producer, and other publications. James presents regularly at legal conferences on estate litigation, and at the College of Law.
James has also experience in insurance and civil litigation. He has defended claims for a variety of insurance companies, as well as advancing subrogated actions. He also has experience in professional liability claims.
- Zimmer, Becky. ‘Poorly written wills can cause headaches for loved ones’ The Western Producer (2020)
- ‘Where there’s a Will there’s a less contested way to divide your estate‘ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Powers of attorney – get legal help to ensure you are protected’ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Discuss wills with family advise Sask lawyers’ Regina Leader-Post (January 2021)
- James’s life is balanced with his passion for music. James is extensively involved in fiddle music throughout Saskatchewan, performing regularly. He is a former Canadian Grand Master Fiddle Champion, a six-time Grand North American Champion, and nine-time Saskatchewan Champion. James is also a member of the Board of Directors for the John Arcand Fiddle Fest.
- James is also on the board of editors of the Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Branch publication BarNotes.
- James is a regular volunteer at pro bono Wills and Estates sessions held at the Saskatoon Public Library.
- James was the 2019 winner of the Cam Partridge Memorial PLEA Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Beginning in fall of 2020, James will be the Legislation and Law Reform Director for the CBA Saskatchewan Board.
From Our Clients
“I cannot say enough good things about the work done for us by James D. Steele at Roberton Stromberg LLP. My family and I knew nothing about estate matters and will interpretations. I met him at a course he was helping facilitate about will making. He listened to my story about the struggles I was having with an executor that wasn’t fulfilling their duties to the beneficiaries and managing the estate poorly. With his help and hard work, we succeeded in having everything transferred from a reluctant and sometimes combatant executor over to myself to manage properly from here on out. He was incredibly patient with me throughout the entire process and always thoroughly explained things I didn’t understand. If you are looking for a determined, hard working and capable lawyer, look no further.”
“Where do I begin?? To have been in such emotional turmoil for almost two years, I am amazed at my luck with having James Steele on my side. He has been so incredibly patient, kind and informative on the law in such a way I could understand. James and his team have definitely been a lifesaver for us. We couldn’t have asked for a better lawyer and law firm!!!”
“Over the past year, I have had the opportunity to work with James Steele on a number of matters. James was always very prompt in our dealings and provided excellent advice and guidance. His assistance provided many benefits for our organization. It was a pleasure working with him.”