James D. Steele
James Steele’s practice focuses on estate litigation.
Areas of Practice
James is a partner with Robertson Stromberg LLP who practises in estate litigation, insurance actions, and general civil litigation.
James has extensive experience with estate disputes, such as:
- Claims involving the validity of Wills (undue influence, incapacity or delusions);
- Removal of executors for misconduct;
- Litigating claims by, and against Estates;
- Challenging joint survivorship entitlements;
- Executor compensation disputes;
- Claims involving defects in Wills, or interpretation of Wills;
- Representation of the estate during a passing of accounts;
- Litigation involving powers of attorneys;
- Contested applications for letters of administration;
- Applications for guardianship.
James has published dozens of articles on estate litigation topics. His comments on estate litigation, have been published by the Regina Leader-Post, the Saskatoon Star Phoenix, the Western Producer, and other publications. James presents regularly at legal conferences on estate litigation, and at the College of Law.
James has also experience in insurance and civil litigation. He has defended claims for a variety of insurance companies, as well as advancing subrogated actions. He also has experience in professional liability claims.
- Zimmer, Becky. ‘Poorly written wills can cause headaches for loved ones’ The Western Producer (2020)
- ‘Where there’s a Will there’s a less contested way to divide your estate‘ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Powers of attorney – get legal help to ensure you are protected’ Battleford News-Optimist (June 2020)
- ‘Discuss wills with family advise Sask lawyers’ Regina Leader-Post (January 2021)
- James’s life is balanced with his passion for music. James is extensively involved in fiddle music throughout Saskatchewan, performing regularly. He is a former Canadian Grand Master Fiddle Champion, a six-time Grand North American Champion, and nine-time Saskatchewan Champion. James is also a member of the Board of Directors for the John Arcand Fiddle Fest.
- James is also on the board of editors of the Canadian Bar Association, Saskatchewan Branch publication BarNotes.
- James is a regular volunteer at pro bono Wills and Estates sessions held at the Saskatoon Public Library.
- James was the 2019 winner of the Cam Partridge Memorial PLEA Volunteer of the Year Award.
- Beginning in fall of 2020, James will be the Legislation and Law Reform Director for the CBA Saskatchewan Board.
From James’ Clients
We couldn’t have asked for a better lawyer and law firm!